Thursday, December 11, 2008

Crank

Call me what you will, but I detest christmas music. Actually, what I detest is every store piping cheeseball christmas music through their intercom system. It used to be that you had to suffer only when you entered malls, but this year everyone seems to be joining in, from the grocery store to the hardware store. And it's not just limited to being inside the store, noooo, now we get to hear Faith Hill or George Michael cooing about santa and reindeer while walking past these stores. Arghhhh. There is no quicker killjoy than has-been singers going on and on about mistletoe and holly. Give me a break. Please. I don't think I'd be such a crank if stores limited their music to instrumentals. Not that I particularly want to listen to muzak versions of holiday music, but it would be marginally less obnoxious. So here's my advice to retailers: Cut it. If I want to listen to holiday music I'll play it for myself. Go back to your market-tested, demographic specific XM station, but please spare me your attempts at festivity. I can take it no more.  

No comments: