Monday, September 20, 2010

Apple-Hazelnut Bread = Autumn

There is just no denying that summer has come to a sorry end. Many Pacific Northwesterners are saying, "what summer" as it seems that we had only a handful of spectacularly warm, sunny days. 2010 has not been a great year for weather in these parts, but there are a few comforts that I enjoy now that my calendar month reads September and I'm bundled up in sweaters and leggings: Apple-Hazelnut bread and bold, red wine. I always know that my body is preparing for the shorter, darker days when I start craving hot-chocolate with whipped cream, red wines, and other comfort foods specific to the waning months of the year. I posted the following recipe a few years back, but because it is so delicious and simple and epitomizes Autumn like no other baked good, I thought I'd bring it back to the forefront of your minds. As I type this I have two loaves baking in the oven. They'll be ready in less than 30 minutes and you can guarantee that I'll be slathering a few slices with butter and fleur de sel as soon as they're out of the oven.

Apple-Hazelnut Bread

Adapted from Sabine Maharam

Serves 12

13 ounces apple (2 to 3 medium), peeled, cored and chopped into sticks 1/4 by 1/4 by 1 1/2 inch

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

Cooking-oil spray

1 cup whole hazelnuts

1/2 teaspoon ground clove

1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder

1 1/2 teaspoons dark rum

2 cups spelt flour

1 tablespoon baking powder.

1. In a large bowl, mix the apples and sugar. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (Do not skip this process, as the apples will expel water, needed to moisten the bread.)

2. Preheat the oven to 360 degrees. Grease a 7-inch round springform pan or an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Stir the nuts, clove, cocoa and rum into the apple mixture. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Add the flour to the apple mixture and stir until combined. Transfer the dough to the pan, pat down and bake for 70 minutes. Cool in the pan. If you like, serve with butter and fleur de sel.


No comments: