Sunday, October 21, 2012

Boots & Umbrellas

Living in Vancouver makes me realize that I have two massive holes in my wardrobe: a decent pair of rain boots and a functional umbrella. Even though I've called the Pacific Northwest home for more than 20 years, I've managed to somehow get through the wet months without these items. Suddenly both seem equally essential. I'm not sure if it's because I walk a lot more and spend scant amount of time in a car going from point A to point B, or if the rain here is different than the rain in Oregon, somehow making me more wet. Whatever the reason, as soon as these rain clouds pass I am hurrying out and going on the hunt for aforementioned items. Your recommendations on rubber boots that are worth a darn, are most welcome. Ditto for umbrellas that actually keep one dry and don't keep showing their undersides the moment a slight breeze pops up!

4 comments:

karen said...

Oooooh, take me shopping, take me!!! Also, do NOT buy the rubbery-but fashionable boots that are made of some weird kind of fake rubber plastic. They are all PVC, horrible for your health when you get sweaty, and you will get sweaty in them smell really bad (like, chemically bad) and, finally, only last about a season.

Kamiks, if they fit, are a great boot, both for kids and adults. But if you are looking for something that will also keep your toots warm in the cold months of lacrosse viewing, you should probably find yourself a pair of lined rubber boots ...

As for umbrellas, The Umbrella Store has the best ones, made of wood and real cloth. There is one location at the mouth of Granville Island and maybe another location still on Broadway.

Seriously, take me! take me!

yummy mummy said...

Karen, shall we go boot and umbrella shopping after we buy grass-fed meat at the market on Wednesday? You're the best friend, EVER!

karen said...

We could do that before, but not after. I have to take Georgia to gymnastics, and we're going to grab curry on 4th Avenue in Kits beforehand ... her class is at 6. Glad to be a best friend. =)

yummy mummy said...

Before sounds good. Name your time and place on Wed. and I'm there!