Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Running on Rainbows

Dear Autumn,

Just a note to let you know I’m so happy you decided to stick around this year. After your hasty retreat last year, I wondered if you’d come back around. You did, and I can’t thank you enough. I don’t know which was better, the Indian Summer we enjoyed until just a few days ago, or the fabulous display of outrageous color that just seemed to continue on in spite of itself. It was as if the trees had all this pent up color, which they didn’t get to indulge last year. The overt display was palpable. Being outside was like being at a middle school pep rally what with the riotous color and overt display. No subtlety here. It was as if each tree was screaming for attention. They certainly had mine. I know that fall colors have more to do with death, than life, but you’d be hard pressed to believe that.

The mixing of colors on the sidewalks is more beautiful than any Turkish carpet I’ve ever seen. The other day while running, I felt as though I ran on rainbows that had been unstrung. It was so impossibly lovely, that I ran twice as long as I intended.

With the end of daylight savings, you packed it up and left. Now I’m struggling with darkness that descends upon us by late afternoon. The rains haven’t ceased in days, and the leaves are no longer blowing like tie-dyed tumbleweeds. I’ve pulled out the thick sweaters and scarves and am ready for bed by 8pm, but it’s worth it because when I close my eyes I see a kaleidoscope of color and my dreams are all the more vivid.

Until next year then.

No comments: