Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Poetry

For my birthday last month I asked Quinn and Logan to write me a poem. They obliged and I thought I'd share them as they are so precious and the best sort of present a mummy could ask for.

Logan's poem:

Spencer's Butte
Left for the long hike
the sign post shows me.
Young creatures pattering everywhere
I turn to my left and begin
the long hike up.

The smell of pine needles and turned mud
reach my nose.
I slowly climb the trails
twisting and turning around
trees and rocks,
jumping over small streams
trinkling.

I head up to the top,
wind rustling the trees up above.
Little animals running around
in the undergrowth.
The trees slowly fade
becoming hard stone.

I start climbing slowly, sweating.
One more step to the top.
I've made it, finally.

I look around at the sun
slowly setting,
orange and pink the clouds
become.

Quinn's poem:

The Eugene Public Library

I walk watching people's heads
bob up and down over the aisles
of books like ships on crests
of waves.
I stop and look down then pick
up a book, feeling the rough leathery
paper beneath my hands.
I stand there transfixed walking
through another world altogether.
Running of and fighting pirates--
and dragons in between the pages
of the book.
I turn the last page and I
am suddenly back in the library.
People quietly talking around me
with the clicks of the mice
from computers down
the row.
I stand there for a moment
taking in the sound of the
library washing over me as if
welcoming me back from my
fantasy world and into
reality.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

WOW. The boys have your literary talent. Give them kisses for me and tell them that Aunt Jo would like a poem too :)