Saturday, June 20, 2009

Throwing in the towel

I made it until 3pm yesterday and I had this deep instinct that it wasn't healthy for me to go much beyond that point. I didn't feel particularly hungry, but felt that I needed some brown rice. I felt like my body was digesting itself from the inside out. If a person has some fat reserves, this is a good thing. But I have very low body fat with no reserve. The most body fat I have is the fatty tissue in my brain. When I thought of my body starting to eat away at those reserves, well, I panicked. I actually felt pretty good yesterday, and after eating a little brown rice, felt even better. I had enough energy to run with Jim, so even though I'd consumed hardly any calories over the past day-and-a-half, I felt strong and clean. 
This morning I had a small bowl of oatmeal and I'm definitely easing my way back into three square meals. My appetite is definitely suppressed and most food seems unappealing. What's amazing to me is that after only 1 1/2 days of this cleanse, I feel no desire to drink coffee, wine, processed foods of any sort, and especially nothing sweet. I crave only whole grains and fruit. I suppose this is the real benefit of partaking in one of these cleanses, to wipe away the bad eating habits and reset one's body for more wholesome food. I also realized that I'm a fairly healthy person anyway, and my body didn't need to "rid" itself of lots of toxic buildup. My liver, kidney and other cleansing organs seem to do a great job of that on their own. 
All in all, I'm happy that I did this, even though I didn't last for the three days that I originally intended. I think the most important thing when doing a cleanse, or fast, or whatever else is to be attentive to your own body and not be stubborn to the point of stupid. I now feel very ready to begin my training in earnest for a half-marathon that Jim and plan to run in the fall. Happy nibbling.

No comments: