Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Second to last day...

Tomorrow is the last day of school for the boys. I still can't believe it is mid-June, I'm still thinking I need to buy cranberries for thanksgiving dinner. How is it that my darlings have finished their first year of middle school? And those summer plans that have always had a fuzzy quality because they seemed so far off, well here they are staring me in the face with HD clarity. 
Quinn and Logan have no illusions that the end of school is here. They have been characteristically wiggly and giddy for a week now. Logan, who is so much like Jim, is tweaking everyone by shooting foam darts at their head or running by and smacking innocent and unsuspecting bystanders on the back. He just can't contain himself, and if it wasn't so funny and cute, his antics would be maddening. Quinn just keeps taking the bait that Logan throws him and yells, "Logaaaaaaan" turning a two syllable name into seven. Ahhh, the thrills of summer. 
I'm enjoying watching the boys drunk on all the potential and possibility that summer holds for them. Even though most of their summer will be spent inside ballet studios in Seattle, in their minds they have an eternity of play dates and fort building ahead of them. It's hard not to catch some of their infectious enthusiasm and I find myself drawn more into the present, realizing that it is indeed June, not November, and feeling ever so grateful for the blooming roses and squealing boys.

No comments: