Monday, June 1, 2009

Sweet Spot

Friday night was the boys' last activity night of the year at their school, and once again, Jim and I "volunteered." By volunteer, I mean we really went to peek into the oh-so complicated lives of middle-school aged tweens and teens. 
The last activity night we volunteered at, we got stuck in the concessions area, which could have been a total bummer had it not been stationed right next to the gym where the dancing takes place. Well, this time Jim refused to do more food-service and instead got stationed leading the basketball games in another gym. I didn't mind making popcorn again if it meant being near the dancing. Once again I found myself filling countless cups of lemonade and making disgusting amounts of popcorn. The volunteer coordinator stopped by at one point and wondered where she could find ear-plugs for the mother who got "stuck" being a door monitor in the dance-gym. I immediately told her I would be happy to switch places, at which point all the other parents whipped around and looked at me like I was some nutter. Um, hello, do you realize that ALL the action is taking place inside the dark gym where they are playing loud music and kids are bopping up and down?! I'm no fool, and I don't mind loud music, so off I happily went to the dance party. 
Whoo-haa did I have fun! Let me first say that I love the angst and confusion of this age. Not only that, but the girls are light years ahead of the boys emotionally and it is such a kick to watch the dynamics of these groups interact. There were girls crying in corners and all the "huggers" (as Jim calls them) huddled around offering support. The boys were mostly oblivious and kept right on dancing and goofing around. All in all, I'd have to say the community of kids at Roosevelt Middle school are wonderful. There was such fluidity between "cliques," if you can even call them that. There was such comfort in self-expression and I truly marveled at the ease at which these kids carried on. 
The highlight of the evening was when my own children realized I was suddenly in the "inner sanctum" of activity night and they ran over to say hello and asked if I saw one of their friends. They haven't yet decided that we, as parents, are total morons to be avoided at all cost. After the evening's festivities were over, Jim, Quinn, Logan and I found each other in the halls and walked home. We held hands and shared stories about all the drama and highlights of the evening. Another day in the sweet spot of tweens... 

No comments: